Saturday, January 22, 2011

Gone Crackers Over Birds!

I have a new fetish and I think it's kinda sweetish..
I find myself constantly making bird feeders! There is never a container that gets emptied that I am thinking, "Hmmm.. would make a nice feeder!" 

I think I've out done myself today and can say I've definitely gone crackers over my new addition!



I had a huge animal cracker container that has taken us months to finish but today was the day when the cracker container went outside to serve it's new purpose. It was the first feeder that I've used sticks as perches, as all my others have dowels or cooking spoons in them.  What a brilliant idea this was as the mouth is definitely large enough for 'no hassle' fillings.

Like my other specimen feeders I was figuring on the birds waiting a few days to test it out, but to my surprise they hopped right on it enjoying my new addition.

I wonder if it will be as popular as the traditional bottle feeders I have up as these seem to get emptied first!



Maybe you can help me?  I am in search of the Red Cardinal to visit my feeders but I never seem to attract them. They are a Northern Bird and are in my area as I've seen them around but they are boycotting my feeders for some reason. Any advise fellow birders?   What kinds of bird seed do you use? Maybe my entree is not pleasing?



What say you birdies?

17 comments:

  1. Hi Leslie!
    Thank you for visiting my blog and entering my giveaway!
    What a lovely Valentine story.
    I`m also your new follower!
    Have a Blessed day!
    *Kim*

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun feeders. Are there perches near the bottom to get the seeds at the bottom? Those cardinals are elusive sometimes. Keep putting out the welcome mat. We have a pair in the neighborhood but they don't come to the feeders much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good catch! I only realized after hanging it that I could have made more holes towards the bottom on the cracker container... when it's empty I'll add more bottom perches, on my other soda bottle feeders there are plenty of bottom perches.. At least I remembered to make the feed holes as I once saw a funny article in the Birds & Blooms magazine about someone who made similar feeders and forgot to put the feed holes in it! :) I guess I'll just keep wishing for the red cardinal.. OR, maybe I should attach a fake one on the perch... maybe that will bring the real ones in! Whatcha think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you put the fake cardinal out there, try making calls like a cardinal and see if one answers. My husband is pretty good at imitating cardinal calls. He likes to talk to the one the sits in our neighbor's tree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the feeders. Hope lots of birds will be visiting soon.

    I looked into the template thingy and realized blogger has a new template designer feature that wasn't there when I first started my blog. No wonder I couldn't find the 'minima' option!! So sorry, I can't be of any help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Veronica,
    LOL! That's what I'm using the new template designer.. I guess I'll just have to wait until FireFox and IE play nice.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, here I am through IE and the comment is working fine. I'll play around and see if it's Firefox or me...lol....You know I love all you do so I'll be back later. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for coming to visit me! Returning the follow ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great idea!!! they turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leslie - This is such a fantastic idea. i'll be saving my containers for sure. The little branches are darling! Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase - I greatly appreciate it. I'll be featuring this today - stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you have a wonderful week ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Stephanie Lynn,
    I'll be by to pickup the button.. I'm honored. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these, I've featured you on Craft Gossip here
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/9-nature-crafts/

    If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here!
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! Thank you Amanda! What a wonderful Sunday surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cardinals love black oil sunflower seeds and safflower seed. They also like to feed off the ground as well as a fly through feeder. Hope this helps.Love that you recycle.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your feeders. I was gonna say it but Josie beat me too it. Cardinals are mostly ground feeders but will fly up to snatch the sunflower seeds. Did you know they actually mate for life? Pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cardinals are ground feeders, but mostly they just don't like to sit on a perch. I have a special cardinal feeder that is like a pie pan and hangs from three chains. But beware, squirrels love the black oil/saffron combo two. If you do try this method, you just have to put up with the squirrels. Cardinals feed early in the evening, noonish and dusk. Squirrels will come after the Cardinals in the AM then all day long. Love em or leave em!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mary Fanara ColemanMarch 30, 2011 at 10:56 PM

    I throw some feed on the ground and on my metal picnic table. Mr and Mrs Cardinal are always there at dusk.........so sweet

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment! I love comments! Come back soon!