I used to say that if you were married for 20 years you deserved one, but with the divorce rate as high as it is, if you're reaching 10 years you're setting a milestone it seems. I've been married 28 years. I was a June bride.
I had a wonderful bridal shower and I loved all the gifts I received but over the years I think I've lost, sold, retired or given away a few things.
For example some of the things I no longer have from my original bridal shower are:
- The umpteen satin sheets that I was given
- An onion soup crock set
- A crock pot, but to this day I'm still regretting that decision as I now have TWO that I use!
- The ole' knife in the wooden block set
- The plate set that my mother got from our grocery store by saving coupons. A nice set, but boy were they heavy and chipped easily
- My original set of pots and pans
- My original ironing board
I'm sure there are numerous other things, that in the 1980's were popular bridal shower gifts and I'm sure I used all of the lovely gifts at least once, however, we're now in 2011 and I am in need of some items that would be at the top of every brides 'wish list' I'm positive!
You know, it's the kinds of things that you just keep putting off buying because you'll 'make do' with the ones you have..
- Bathroom towels, nothing expensive, just nice and fluffy!
- Queen sized sheets, with the highest thread count one can buy.
- An electric egg beater so I can beat up my homemade soups in the pot.
- A brand new pot set
- A meat grinder
- New knife set
- A huge upright freezer
- The entire collection of my Oma's doilies
- New pot holders
Wouldn't you agree that after 10 years us brides deserve another bridal shower?
If you were given a bridal shower now, what would be on your wish list?