Sunday, February 13, 2011

Do You Need a Trouble Doll?

While going through my drawer this evening I found this little yellow box that my mother gave me oh so long ago..

I move it from here to there, shifting it from one end to another but I've not opened it in forever. Tonight I opened the box and realized I've been missing out on a way to have all my troubles disappear..


This colorful little box contains, "Trouble Dolls" or as others say, "Worry Dolls". Have you ever seen or heard of them before? The story goes like this.. "In the land of Guatemala the Indians tell this story. They teach that when you have troubles, share them with your dolls. Remove one doll for each problem. Before you go to sleep, tell the doll your trouble. While you are sleeping the dolls will try to solve your troubles. Since there are only six dolls, you are allowed only six troubles a day.."

Upon further research though I found out that a person (usually a child) who cannot sleep due to worrying can express their worries to a doll and place it under their pillow before going to sleep. Some hospitals in foreign countries use them in conjunction with treatment for disease in children. According to folklore, the doll is thought to worry in the person's place, thereby allowing the child to sleep peacefully.

I don't know... what do you think? Is it all just babble? Or maybe I shouldn't be so quick to push them to the side of the drawer.. Maybe I should take the chance and place my troubles in the hands of these colorful dolls. What do I have to lose but a few troubles right?

Have a trouble? Can't sleep? You can borrow my Trouble Dolls... it's no trouble at all..


5 comments:

  1. That's a good idea. I turn my troubles over and pop off to sleep anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures you took. I have heard of these but not for years. They are cute. Can't hurt to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Donnie - What? No dolls to take you're troubles away.. OH! I know.. you tell them to Mr. Bubbles... lol...

    @ Debby - Thanks! In the first picture now that I look at it again it looks like the one doll is holding the one sitting so she doesn't fall! Then the trouble dolls would be praying for themselves I guess...lol... my husband was cleaning his fish tank at the time I took the pics and I used his tank decorations for the back ground.. he said "You know I charge for props!" LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! Love your pictures, those little dolls look so sweet and so colorful, perfect to take away all the troubles! All six anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Worrying about troubles is just a cause of stress, and is wasted energy. So, anything that can take your mind away from worrying about stuff is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment! I love comments! Come back soon!