Sunday, February 20, 2011

Eleventh Hour Flower

Last night I had a home demonstration party. A Tupperware Party to be exact. I had some familiar faces coming and new faces I'd never seen before. I found myself in the usual panic before entertaining, but managed my time well. You know the usual crunch time before 'showtime'...

I had decided earlier in the week that I was going to have a "Garden Party" theme filling my rooms with colorful flowers. My local grocery store was glad to see me come and then walk out with armfuls of colorful flowers. I bought flowers that were dyed blue and green and every color in between. I wanted to work with color and plenty of it.

I filled some vases in my living room with Gerber daisies, pussy willows, roses, carnations, etc. and thought my job was done. Until I got this "Eleventh Hour" flower idea. Do you know the saying, "Just for Shits & Giggles"? When someone says "I did it for Shits & Giggles", it's usually because we gain excitement from an often simple action or occurrence; often used to explain reason in response to a stupid question.
My idea was to put cut tulips in a vacant toothbrush holder.. I figured, what do I have to lose? But, what I had to gain was a pretty color pick me up when a guest entered the bathroom. I knew the stems wouldn't last past the evening, but it filled the need for 'pretty'.  Isn't it cute?

While in my creative moment I also found a votive holder and poured some decorator sugar in it then put the votive in it. How about it! The room smelled like sugary sweet cookies by the end of the night.. Yummy!
While I'm not displaying my 'tablescape' as I am far from the creative minds that post pictures of their absolutely stunning tables, I will share this other last minute idea I had with another candle holder that I have. I cut the heads off of all the blue and green flowers and put them around the inside of the candle holder. To raise the base up a little I put some tissue paper around the bottom.

After putting the candle holder on the table I realized I needed more height. I found a cake plate which satisfied the height. But, then the dilemma, I need a plate cover. What does one use in keeping with a garden party theme? Lettuce! OH my, I may have stretched my imagination too far, but it added 'character'..

What did my darling daughter say? "It's screaming Bed, Bath & Beyond - Mom"  I looked at it and said... "Nah... it's screaming ME!"





5 comments:

  1. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I love it. What a great job you did making an effort to make your house lovely for your guests. I think homes with flowers are the absolute best kind! We just had a store open up nearby called produce junction and the flowers are SO inexpensive. I could not be happier! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful. Luv flowers in the home. It is so comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How creative!! Love the idea.

    Have a blessed Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you're thinking outside the box. Cute post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment! I love comments! Come back soon!