Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Needle Night

There is something
very comforting, relaxing
& truly rewarding about
making something with
your hands..

A couple weeks ago I was invited to attend a "Needle Night" by one of my friends. The idea around it was to bring your crafts, and sit with others and either continue with your craft or attend and learn a new craft. For example, if you've always wanted to crochet or knit, this was your perfect opportunity.



While I was skeptical about going because I've never considered myself a crafty person, I decided to go and just be inspired by others that are magical with their hands and art work. A couple years ago another friend taught me how to knit but sadly after making a few very long and somewhat functional scarves I put the skeins in a pretty basket and never looked at them again.



I dusted off my wool, found my needles and drove off to the Needle Night.  Here's what I learned..


There is nothing more relaxing than sitting with a group of people knitting quietly with the occasional instructional insert along the way.


Having background music in a room of knitters is just perfect as it creates a joining of the mind and body and allows for free flowing thoughts to arise.

There is nothing more rewarding than to actually see something that you're making become a reality. Looking at a ball of wool and then later seeing it all come together in a magical way is so rewarding.

I also learned that people can be so self giving of themselves to teach another a craft. It's like passing on a renewed spirit. At least that was how I felt sitting with these fine people.  I even learned how to knit again and am looking forward to learning more as my wool begins to take shape.


Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

  1. A craft night is a lovely idea. A couple of friends and I were going to do similar, hasn't worked out yet. Knitting is relaxing. I'm going to try and get back to it when winter comes and I'm sitting by the fire. Was that second picture your scarf? I love the colour and texture. Yummy.

    Cheers,
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've about started a crocheted dish rag so keep posting and maybe I'll get her started...lol....Sounds like a wonderful evenings fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lisa and Donnie -- I have a renewed interest in knitting.. now to find the time.. Actually, the last one was my knitting.. the yellow ball of first beginnings..

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like fun evening. So glad you went!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of a craft night. I've done scrapbook crops but we are all doing the same thing. Maybe I could learn to knit or crochet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment! I love comments! Come back soon!