Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Sulky Horse Memories

My mom has always been good about giving her children some remnants of our childhood memories.. and this remnant is definitely no exception and one of my most favorite childhood memories. Ironically, it's not because I necessarily remember riding it myself, but because I have always remembered seeing pictures of my brothers ride it.

This Tri-Ang Sulky Horse is a child's peddle car from the early to mid 1950's. Isn't it adorable?


A while back my husband and I did some research on it during the days when we had no children and not as much responsibility so we had thoughts of restoring it. My husband restores antique cars and trucks so it was a natural fit. Unfortunately, we could never get enough information to find the parts..  

We took all sorts of pictures of it, angles in all directions and emailed the pictures to various groups asking for help in finding manufacturers that could help us replace some of the worn parts. As you will see, the horse's mane is not the original. I believe originally the mane was a hard rubber like replica of a mane. When that dry rotted my dear father-in-law replaced it with what he thought would fit best which were cuttings from a mop head.

I kind of like it even better now because he had the thought of doing that and now it's a memory of him as well.


Isn't it strange that I don't remember riding this adorable toy? One would sit in it and push the peddles hard to make the wheels go round and take you where you wanted to go. In the pictures that I remember I saw my brothers riding it along with their childhood friends. 

For me, I just love it because it was a part of our childhood, a childhood that I lovingly shared with both my brothers. I'm sure at one point or another I rode on it, I just don't recall it..



However, what I am enjoying is the look of it in my living room as it brings such a warmth and childish glow to the room. For some, it may be just a decoration, but for me, it's definitely something more special..



As you can see, we never did restore it, and you know what, I'm kinda glad, because it's just too special to me just the way it is..

In another post, I'll show you some of the other vintage toys we have around the house.. I think you'll like them!








12 comments:

  1. That is the cutest toy! I remember pedal cars, but they actually were like cars, not horses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a very long time since I saw one of these. Love seeing and learning some history behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is definitely a keeper. I love the story about the mane and your sweet memories. If you were like all sisters you probably did get on it more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cute. BTW I did get the gift. Thank U very much. I will put it to good use. Can't wait 2 C the other toys. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love vintage toys and this one is adorable. I am so glad you didn't restore it. It's just too wonderful this way! Loved.
    Can't wait to see what else you have just hanging around.
    I had a fire chief peddle car- the whole neighborhood rode in it at some time or other. I was the only kid with a peddle car!
    Hugs- Tete

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what a treasure as a keepsake and because it holds many memories. ~~Sherry~~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vintage toys are just lovely. They have character, and were cleverly crafted. So much better than the mass produced plastic-which-lasts-2-seconds-before-it-breaks bin fillers they make today.

    Cheers,
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a treasure to have. I know you are glad you did not restore it, it is so charming as is. I don't think I have ever seen one like this. Happy VTT

    ReplyDelete
  9. great memories of your mom! This is such a wonderful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet part of your past. I love the mop and think it's perfect just the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! I, too, have a memory of a toy riding donkey we had as kids, but I only remember my little brother riding it. I think this may be in part due to a photograph someone took during a New Year's Eve party my parents were hosting. I am standing next to it and my brother is sitting on the donkey. Love your memories of your toy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic piece. I love it just the way it is and the "mop mane" is fantastic. Such a great story to go with it. I can imagine how you feel looking at it - I have some pieces that make me feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment! I love comments! Come back soon!